Monday, February 11, 2013

Crustless Spinach Zucchini Pie

As usual, I was sitting innocently on my couch one morning, writing my daily to-do list, and I got an instant craving for something: spinach pie. I've never made a spinach pie before, but I knew that they tend to have crust and I definitely didn't want that. I'm making a more conscious effort to exclude refined carbs from my diet, and also excluding carbs where they're not needed. So I googled: crustless spinach pie. After several recipes that looked very "blah", I found one that seemed good enough to satisfy my craving! While getting the spinach from the veggie crisper drawer, I saw a stack--yes an actual stack--of zucchinis that I bought a few days ago. Not exactly sure what I intended to do with all of these squashes, but I decided they'd go just fine with my spinach pie!

Here's the original recipe.


Spinach Zucchini Pie

1 1/2 C     Spinach, chopped
1/2 C        Zucchini, chopped
1 C           Ricotta cheese
2              Eggs
2              Egg whites
1/4 C        Parmesan cheese, grated
1              Small onion, finely chopped
2              Garlic cloves, finely minced
 Salt & Pepper    (Use your judgement here on how much you want. I used about 1/2 tsp of salt)
1/2  tsp     Tabasco or other hot sauce
1/2 tsp      Nutmeg
1/4 C        Mozzarella cheese, shredded


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook spinach and zucchini in pan until wilted, let cool.
3.  In a bowl, mix ricotta, eggs, egg whites, parmesan cheese, onion, garlic, salt and pepper, hot sauce, and nutmeg until well incorporated.  Add spinach and zucchini to bowl.
4. Spray pie pan with cooking spray and pour mixture into pie pan.
5. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella.
6. Bake for 40 min or until knife comes out clean.


Yield:  8 slices
Calories per slice: 95 measly calories per slice!

Mm... bubbly cheesy goodness...


Seriously, thats it. It's THAT easy. Now you have a yummy breakfast, or brunch, or lunch for a week! You're welcome.  :)

Served with chopped avocado and tomato salad

5 comments:

  1. will try this!! what does zucchini taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. *gaassssppp*!!! You've never tried zucchini?? I can't really explain the taste... it does't taste like much... lol I really like the texture though and it's such a versatile veggie. Actually, tomorrow night i'm planning to make a lasagna with zucchini as the lasagna pasta! Also, zucchini bread is AMAZING! once you try it and see how versatile it is, you'll include it in ur regular veggie lineup, i'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was goooood Kimora!!! I made it for dinner tonight!!! I think I used too much salt, forgetting that all the cheese in it is salty itself, but it's still delish!! Thanks so much for the recipe!!

    Jamilah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamilah! I'm glad you liked it! Yeah it's easy to forget about the saltiness of the cheese, but now you have a better idea for when you make it next time!

      Delete
  4. I just made this too but i should have left out the salt. Very yummy though

    ReplyDelete