Thursday, January 16, 2014

Let's Talk Smoothies!

Everyone knows someone who "smoothies". Some of you my have even tried it yourself. I've even written a blog post about smoothies! Matter of fact, if you Google the word "smoothie", you'll get millions of results ranging from a huge variety of smoothie recipes, to articles trying to convince you whether or not smoothies are healthy for you.

First of all, I want to say that not all smoothies are created equal. Let me say that again. NOT ALL SMOOTHIES ARE CREATED EQUAL! While you might be thinking you're making a better health decision by having a smoothie as a meal replacement, if you use lots of sugary additives, you may very well be opening the door to Diabeetus.


Many articles point to the dangers of the high sugar content in the smoothies and juices that people often think are healthy for them. As an avid smoothie-drinker of 3 years, I'm just going to posit myself as a smoothie-ologist here, and relay my personal experiences, as well as tips to help you smoothly navigate the often bumpy road of "health food".  (See what I did there?)



Smoothies vs Juices. What's the difference and which do you prefer?

One word: Fiber. Smoothies are just blended versions of fruits and vegetables, while juices are just what they sound like--the juice extracted from fruits and vegetables. Personally, I prefer smoothies, because they're more filling, and contain the fiber that we all need so much of. And, while the anti-smoothieists argue that fruit and vegetables are best when eaten raw, instead of blended, I have this to say: Who the hell wants to eat 2 cups of vegetables and fuits for breakfast? Not I, said the blind man.

What about dairy in smoothies? Yogurt? Milk?

Nope. Not for me, for several reasons. I make smoothies to help me get my fruits and veggies in for the day. If I used yogurt, it would be taking up valuable belly real estate that I'd rather be filled with spinach. Also, not many people buy plain yogurt, and tend to use yogurts that contain as much sugar as a can of coke! On the few occasions I've added yogurt, I only used Fage plain greek yogurt. I find milk to be gross, so I just avoid it. If I'm looking for a creamy texture, I use a frozen banana, unsweetened almond milk, or a small amount of coconut milk.

What about other ingredients like oatmeal, protein powder, peanut butter, or flax seeds?

Oatmeal? Nope. Protein powder? Nope. Peanut butter? I'd rather it nestled between two slices of whole grain bread with jam. I've added flax seeds in the past, but when I ran out, I never bought any more, and didn't see the need for it anymore. I am very interested in adding camu camu to my smoothies, though!

So, what DO you put in your smoothies?

The formula I tend to follow is 1 C spinach, 1 C of a fruit or combination of fruits (I usually include some berries), and 1 C of liquid--usually water. I use water instead of other liquids, because I try to avoid extra calories and added sugar. With this "formula", my smoothies are not overly sweet, and I get 3 to 4 servings of fruits and veggies in the morning. Some may be skeptical to adding spinach to their smoothies, but I promise you don't taste it! Now, kale on the other hand.....don't add kale to your smoothies unless you have immediate access to a quiet bathroom, as I nearly shat myself at the gym, mid-crunch, after drinking a kale smoothie.

What benefits have you seen from drinking smoothies for breakfast?

For starters, I haven't been sick in more than 2 years! Secondly, my hair, skin, and nails look fantastic! I've always had weak nails, and they're stronger than ever now. Lastly... the poop! The glorious regularity!


A few quick smoothie favorites of mine:

Pour liquid into blender, add fruits and veggies, blend until smooth.



1 C carrot
1 C unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
dash of nutmeg and cinnamon
 splash of vanilla extract














Doesn't it just look like strong immune system? 

1 C spinach
1 C pineapple
1/2 inch piece of ginger
1 C water













1 C spinach
1/2 C strawberries
1/2 C mango
1/2 C coconut milk
1/2 C water













There will always be naysayers when something becomes a trend. However, I strongly suggest you try smoothies for yourself, while keeping these things in mind: limit your sugar consumption by leaving out too sweet ingredients (peanut butter, yogurt--unless its plain greek yogurt), include vegetables (cucumbers, spinach, carrots, beets), and try to use water as your wet ingredient instead of juice or dairy. These tips will decrease the amount of calories and sugar in your smoothies, and increase the amount of veggies and fruits you consume. You can make your smoothie the night before, and put it in a container in the fridge, so you don't have to make it in the morning. Have fun with it! Happy Smoothie-ing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment