Friday, January 25, 2013

Breakfast Bites!

             Mornings for me typically start around 5:30 am every day. I don't work, but I intern at a school for children with autism three days a week. You're probably thinking, "School doesn't start until around 9am. What the heck are you doing up that early?!?!". Two words: My. Husband.


              If he's up, I'm up. Partly because he puts every light in the house on while getting ready for work. Also, because he never gives himself enough time to make anything for breakfast or lunch, and ends up eating unhealthy crap 6 days a week for 2 meals a day. That's no bueno, so I tend to have to make breakfast shakes for him. I was intent on figuring out a way to make him a portable, relatively healthy breakfast. One day I was sitting on the couch, doing God knows what, and it hit me: BREAKFAST BITES! Breakfast items that could be baked in muffin tins for easy transportability (Wow...no red squiggly lines under that word? Thought I made that one up. hm.. ). I decided to make two of my favorite breakfast items: veggie omelets and whole wheat pancakes.

This is so easy, it's actually funny it took me so long to think of it.

Omelet Bites

5      eggs
salt and pepper to taste
various chopped vegetables
bacon, cooked and chopped (optional)
shredded cheese (optional)

For the love of all things sacred, use silicone muffin pans (and spray with cooking spray or oil) if you have them. Otherwise you'll end up with 1/4 of your omelet stuck in the pan. Trust me. I'm picking up some silicone bakeware over the weekend, because scrubbing muffin pans sucks. If thats not a viable option, use foil muffin liners and spray the hell out of them with cooking spray or oil.

Yield: 6 Omelet Bites
One of my eggs was a twin! 

Zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, bacon, green onion, red onion, yellow pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin pan (Silicone pans!! Don't make the same mistakes I did! Save yourselves!!)

2. Add chopped veggies to the bottom of each muffin..uh..crater? muffin cup?? 
No liner was used. Muffin pan was almost thrown in the trash because of how much the egg stuck to it.

3. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together eggs, salt, and pepper.

4. Pour whisked eggs on top of vegetables until full. If using cheese, sprinkle on top.

5. Bake 15 minutes. Voila!

Let cool, then remove egg from pan, place into air tight container. Put in the refrigerator, and reheat as many as you need in the morning. 20-30 seconds should be ideal for reheating 2 omelet bites.

Whole Wheat Pancake Bites

-Your favorite whole wheat (or regular flour...nobody's here to judge) pancake recipe. Here's mine.   I halved the recipe, since I didn't need to make that many pancake bites, however, I added 1/2 tsp more baking powder, since I wanted them to rise a bit more.

-Maple syrup (as much as you choose. I used 2 Tablespoons since my recipe was halved)

-Chopped fruit (I used sliced banana, and blueberries), or chocolate chips, or anything else you love to add to your pancakes.

Yield: 6ish pancake bites (since I halved the recipe)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make pancakes according to recipe.

2. Add 2 Tablespoons of maple syrup  and fold into pancake batter.

3. Pour a small amount of pancake batter into pan just to form a barrier between the fruit and the bottom of the muffin pan. Add some of your fruit or other toppings on top of this.
I made my omelets and pancakes in the same pan. Clearly I didn't pour any pancake batter at the bottom of the muffin tin. Lesson learned.



4. Pour batter into each cup until full or almost full. Pancake batter doesn't rise much so don't worry about that. 

5. Add more fruit or other toppings and drizzle more maple syrup on top of pancake bite.


6. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

7. Let cool, remove, and place in air tight container. Microwave for 30 seconds or so until warm. Voila! Breakfast on the go! 



I'll totally do the whole breakfast bite thing again. This time with silicone pans, liners, and doing it the correct way! Lol! Also, I'm going to try to experiment with more breakfast options so that it doesn't become monotonous and boring.   Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment