Friday, January 18, 2013

Chicken Meatballs in Mushroom Sauce

Often, at the end of the week, I have to scrape up ingredients to make a meal of whatever I have available. Yesterday (Thursday) was no different from other weeks. The only meat I had in the freezer was chicken breast, but not enough for everyone to have their own. I decided to make meatballs, but I didn't have any pasta sauce on hand--and quite frankly, tomato sauce is getting "old"--so I'd have to get creative here! I've made a mushroom sauce to go with pork chops before, so it should work for chicken meatballs as well! With my meat grinder ready to go, and my notebook on hand to write it all down, I came up with this tasty meal. Even though it LOOKS indulgent, chicken meatballs are very lean, and the recipe is mostly clean!

If you've never ground your own meat, and have a Kitchenaid mixer, get the meat-grinding attachment. I can't even explain how much it expands your cooking options--especially when you have a few pieces of meat here and there--and saves you money!


Chicken Meatballs in Mushroom Sauce

Meatball Ingredients

1 lb           ground chicken
1/2            medium onion, finely chopped
3               cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp          parsley
1 1/2 tsp    Herbs de Provence
1/2 tsp       kosher salt
                 black pepper to taste
1/4 C         parmesan cheese
1/2 C         italian bread crumbs
1               egg

Mushroom Sauce Ingredients

1 Tbs         unsalted butter (don't substitute with margarine. trust me)
1/2             medium onion, thinly sliced
2 C            sliced mushrooms
2 C            chicken stock
1 tsp          thyme
1 tsp          dried parsley
1                bay leaf
1 1/2 tsp     soy sauce
1/2 C          whole milk
1 Tbs          corn starch


1. Meatballs: Mix all ingredients with a fork or by hand until all are thoroughly combined. Form into 1" meatballs.
Clearly I didn't finely chop my onions. Ain't nobody got time for that. 
2. In a large non-stick pan, heat 1-2 Tbs olive oil over medium-high heat.

3. Add meatballs. Brown on all sides. You may have to brown the meatballs in batches, unless you have a ginormous pan. Once adequately browned and almost cooked through, remove and set aside.
Browned but not all the way cooked through, as chicken breast can easily become too dry. 
4. Reduce to medium heat. Add butter to pan. Constantly move it around until melted.

5. Add onions and mushrooms. Cook on medium until onions and mushrooms are soft, and browned (approx. 2-5 minutes). Stir occasionally.

6. Pour chicken stock into pan and stir. Add thyme, parsley, bay leaf, and soy sauce.

7. Put meatballs back into pan, and whatever juices they may have leaked while resting on plate. Stir so that meatballs are covered with sauce. Cover and let cook for 3-5 minutes.

8. In the meantime, whisk cornstarch into milk until smooth. After meatballs and sauce have been cooking for 3-5 minutes, whisk cornstarch/milk mixture into sauce until smooth. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

9. **had to come back and add this step** REMOVE BAY LEAF! Because chomping down on a bay leaf while eating isn't exactly my idea of fun.

You can serve this with egg noodles, couscous, brown rice, or any other side. I chose to stick to veggies and served it with roasted broccoli and a salad. For my step-sons, I served it with rice. The chicken meatballs were way more moist than I thought they would be. I'm glad I wrote this one down!

Yield: Approx. 20 meatballs
Calories per serving: 158 calories (2 meatballs with 1/4 C sauce)


No comments:

Post a Comment