Monday, January 7, 2013

Quinoa Cake "Lazy Breakfast"

      So recently, I stumbled upon a delicious-looking recipe on Pinterest---as I often do. Being a consumer of all things burger-esque, this recipe for basil quinoa cakes was right up my alley. I made these beauties about a week and a half ago, and put the excess in my freezer. Another thing you'll soon discover is that I. FREEZE. EVERYTHING. I can't tell you how many times the contents of my freezer have saved the day. Anywho, on one particular morning last week, I was having one of those "lazy breakfast" days, when I want something delicious but don't want to put much effort into making something fancy.

Frozen quinoa cakes to the rescue! Oh, and if you haven't tried quinoa, yet, you need to.

Since these cakes are so versatile, I figured they'd be just as delicious for breakfast as they were for lunch the other day. With a little effort, and 10 min to spare, I came up with this.


If you, too, would like to join me in this lazy breakfast endeavor, follow along, grasshopper. I shall show you the way.

Things you'll need:
  • your frozen or freshly made quinoa cake
  • chopped tomato
  • 1/4 of an avocado sliced
  • half a cup sliced onion
  • 1-2 eggs
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil or oil of your choice
  • salt and pepper to taste
Bare with me, as I'm no Rachel Ray, and haven't the slightest clue about telling people how to cook things.

1. Heat oil over medium heat in pan. Add onions

2. Let onions brown under medium heat for 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally so they don't burn.

 When done, they should look like this.
3. While onions are browning, or after they've browned, reheat quinoa cake. If using microwave, make sure you sprinkle some water on both sides of the cake so they don't dry out in the microwave. 
4. Cook eggs to desired doneness, season with salt and pepper to taste. 
5. Assemble egg, then quinoa cake (or quinoa cake and then egg. No one's judging you, here.), avocado, sauteed onions, and tomatoes.


Voila!! Deliciousness and nutrition in less than 10 minutes! Lazy never tasted so good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment