Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes

There's nothing better than a fresh, fluffy stack of pancakes on a Saturday morning. The beauty of pancakes is that you can honestly do just about anything with them! In the same week I made a batch of chocolate chip pancakes, and these beauties--Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes. The chocolate chip pancakes were the manifestation of my husband refusing to go to the grocery store at 10pm to get me the chocolate chip cookies I wanted. But these...these bad boys were the result of a mind in conflict: "Should I make oatmeal pancakes? Or whole wheat pumpkin pancakes?"   Why not make both?!





This recipe-writing thing is new for me. I usually just wing it and forget how I made it. But just for you, Uncreatively Conscientious, I wrote this one down.


Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes

1    C        Quick Oats
1/4 C        Whole wheat flour
2    Tbs     Brown sugar
1/2 Tsp     Baking soda
1/2 Tsp     Baking powder
1/8 Tsp     Salt
1-2 Tsp     Pumpkin pie spice (at 2 Tsp, the spice gets overpowering to me, so adjust to taste)
3/4  C       Pumpkin puree
2     C       Milk, divided
1              Egg
1/4  Tsp    Vanilla extract 


1. In large bowl, mix oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.

2. In a smaller bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, 1 CUP milk, vanilla, and egg.

3. Here's where it gets personal: Add as much milk as you need to get the consistency of pancake you want. Keep in mind that the whole wheat and the oatmeal make this a thick pancake to begin with, so thin it out as you see fit. I ended up using the entire 2 cups.

4. Heat skillet or pan over medium fire. Spray pan/skillet with cooking spray. Use 1/4 Cup of batter for each pancake. When bubbles appear on top, flip. Keep in mind these will take longer to cook than your basic pancake, as they are more dense. So make sure the fire isn't too high! 

5. Don't do these pancakes an injustice by serving them with "Pancake Syrup". Get the real stuff please!


Enjoy!!

5 comments:

  1. Question: How do you think this will come out without eggs??.. I don't do eggs.. Thanks Jullyj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jully! You can substitute the eggs with chia seeds and water. The pancakes need something to bind them, and Chia seeds that soak in eggs for a little bit can be a great substitution. Plus, they're super nutritious.

      here's how to do it!
      http://www.veganbaking.net/component/content/article/57-recipes/eggless-binders/208-chia-seed-binder.html

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the response. But do I have to soak the chia seeds in eggs or i can do in water? cause I just don't do eggs at all I would prefer not have it at all..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the chia, you don't need eggs! They act as eggs to bind the mix together. The link gives u the info you need! I want to try a chia substitution sometime, too! Here's the link again:

      http://www.veganbaking.net/component/content/article/57-recipes/eggless-binders/208-chia-seed-binder.html

      Delete