Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Where's the beef??? Not here! Chicken/turkey burgers!


 Don't let the title fool you. I'm not anti-beef. I'm not anti-meat. I'm just pro-alternatives. I. LOVE. BURGERS. Hamburgers, turkey burgers, chicken burgers, sweet potato burgers, veggie burgers..As long as it's "burger-esque", I'll more than likely try to make it.
   Last week one of my friends posted a Facebook status about wanting a big juicy burger. Naturally, I began craving one too, but since I'm making an effort to eat more cleanly, I decided to make one myself. When it comes to ground meat, I prefer to grind my own. Especially with my deliciously sexy hot pink Kitchenaid mixer with grinder attachment. Anywho, I scavenged through the contents of my freezer, and found some undedicated (not reserved for a future meal) chicken! I searched some more and found ONE.. yes, ONE, whole wheat burger bun (My freezer has everything. I know if I looked deep enough, I'd probably find a portal to the land of Narnia). I'll make chicken burgers!!! I Googled and found a recipe for chicken burgers. This was all coming together so perfectly, as if orchestrated by the burger lords themselves!!...
Undedicated chicken breast

Sexy Kitchenaid with meat-grinder attachment
....Except the amount of undedicated chicken I found was barely enough to make 4 burgers. So back to the freezer I went. I found undedicated turkey breast cutlets!!! Turkey/chicken burgers were born.

  The beauty of non-beef burgers is that you can often shove as many chopped vegetables as you can into the mix.

Here's the recipe I used.  The only changes I made were using the turkey breast to make up for the   lack of chicken breast. Also, I think I added some chopped up zucchini.

NomNomNom... non-beefy deliciousness.


With the excess burgers I don't cook, I cut wax/parchment paper into squares, place each burger on a wax square on a baking sheet or some other flat surface. Transfer to the freezer, and leave until solid. Then take each burger and its wax paper, stack them and place them into ziplock bags for later use. Now, you have a 5-10 minute lunch in your freezer. :)   You're welcome.



Do you have a favorite non-beef burger recipe? Share it here!

2 comments:

  1. yum! chicken burgers are tasty..but the texture is too soft.the turkey did it some justice...i love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I never thought of that! Chicken burgers can definitely be too soft, but these aren't. Did you make these already?? And THAAANNNKKKKKS! I'm glad somebody else does lol besides my husband and I.

      Delete