Sunday, March 3, 2013

Black Bean "Hummus"

Since I've chosen to eat less meat and incorporate more variety into my meals, I've come to love and appreciate the little protein-packed wonders called beans. Whether it's a black bean burger, stewed lentils, or a chick pea salad, I try to eat beans at least twice a week. Research has shown that by including beans in your regular diet, you can lower your cholesterol, reduce the risk of many cancers, and lower blood pressure, among other awesome health benefits. Like the saying goes "Beans beans they're good for your heart..." Well, you know the rest.

So a week ago, I was craving some hummus, but had no chickpeas! Well...actually, I technically did have chickpeas, but they were more useful as B.B. gun pellets than a food item in their current state, so what is a hummus-craving girl to do??? I did have a can of frijoles negros!! Is it even considered hummus if it isn't made out of chickpeas? I could be onto something revolutionary here, folks. I present to you, Black Bean Hummus.


Black Bean Hummus

1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice of one lemon
1 Tbs + 2 tsp tahini
1 tsp salt
black pepper
2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil

1. Put all ingredients in food processor, and process until smooth.

That. Is. It!

You can use it as a dip for vegetables, a spread to replace mayo on your sandwiches and wraps, or just use a spoon to dig right in and go to town. I had some naan bread and decided to make a little veggie pizza with it, using the hummus as the pizza "sauce". Yummaayy!!!




1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna try this! Sounds so good!!

    Jamilah

    ReplyDelete